This is a photograph of eight girls, students of Number 14 Schoolhouse, circa 1920, Guilford Center, Guilford, VT. The teacher at this time was Anna Johnson, who is not in this photo. According to the information on the back of the photograph, the eight girls are Emma Christiansen, Sophia Christiansen, Faith Heald, — Bardwell, Marion Wyman, Esther Henry, Ruby Thayer, and Virgie Goodnow. All of the girls have their hair up. The two girls on the left-hand side of the picture are wearing the same dress. The two in the center appear to be the youngest. Seven of the eight girls are wearing collared dresses. The group is sitting on a hill, with a tree directly behind them. A large hedge is also behind them. A field and woods are visible in the background. It appears to be spring, summer, or fall and it us sunny.
The Red Brick Schoolhouse was built in 1790 and was used by District 14 schoolchildren, until it fell into a state of disrepair in the 1920’s and a new schoolhouse was built. The building still stands thanks to the generosity of the Anthony family and the Guilford Historical Society. The schoolhouse sits on Carpenter Hill Road. Ruby Thayer, a student, went on to be a librarian at the Guilford Free Library.