Skip to content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer
Mineral Springs Farm

In this photograph of Mineral Springs Farm, Guilford, Vermont, there are two gazebos, with many young maple trees surrounding them. The ground is covered with an assortment of dried leaves, and two piles of snow. In the larger of the two gazebos, there is one woman in what appears to be a bath towel, going to bathe in the water, which was said to heal, and make one feel better.

The Guilford Mineral Springs Farm was most popular in the early 1870’s when people traveled from Boston and New York to Guilford, Vermont to visit the Mineral Springs Farm. It was believed that the minerals in the spring had healing effects on people, along with the fresh country air. The mineral springs farm was originally on the Houghton’s farmland. It was not widely advertised until James Dalton, Joseph Burnett, W. B. Potter, and John Knowlton bought it on August fourth, 1864. They formed a very successful company, and soon enlarged the grounds and built several new buildings, including the springs house, bottling house, pavilions, and bridges near the springs.

Mineral Springs Bottle

2006.008.001_H.jpg

This is a photograph of a Guilford Mineral Springs bottle.  You will notice that there is a dark turquoise bottle on a windowsill, with trees in the background. There are also power lines in the upper right hand corner. The words on the bottle say “Guilford Mineral Spring Water, Guilford, Vt.” There is a circular, outlined logo on the bottle. Inside the circle there are four letters: a G, an M, an S, and a W. The G on the top stands for “Guilford,” the M on the left stands for “Mineral,” the S on the right stands for “Spring,” and the W on the bottom is for “Water.”

The owners of the Mineral Springs Farm filled these bottles with the special water and sold them all around New England and northeastern New York. The Guilford Mineral Springs Farm was most popular in the early 1870’s when people traveled from Boston and New York to Guilford, Vermont to visit the Mineral Springs Farm. It was believed that the minerals in the spring had healing effects on people, along with the fresh country air. The mineral springs farm was originally on the Houghton’s farmland. It was not widely advertised until James Dalton, Joseph Burnett, W. B. Potter, and John Knowlton bought it on August fourth, 1864. They formed a very successful company, and soon enlarged the grounds and built several new buildings, including the springs house, bottling house, pavilions, and bridges near the springs.

Mineral Springs, Walls

ghs50_300.jpg

This is a photograph of Mineral Spring walls, Guilford, Vermont. There is a stonewall in the background, partly mortared, with various young trees in front and back of the stonewall. There are leaves on the ground, and no animal or human life.